Saturday, February 18, 2006

Pens...Christmas 2006


From left to right.
1. This pen was given to me as a Christmas gift in 2004 and inspired me to make my own, but my lathe was broken. So once I finally fixed the lathe, I was in business. This pen is made of Cocobolo.

2. My very first pen. I copied the shape of the Cocobolo gift pen, but used Cherry from my back yard. I was excited to go through all the assembly steps, so I didn't put stain and finish on it. This will be MY pen, not a gift since it is my first ever.

3-5. All straight and made of Cherry. Stained and finished with Shellawax.

6. Another curved set of barrels. I think these are nice for a woman, so I will make several more. A lady friend at work really likes the curved ones and said she would like me to make some more that she will buy and give as gifts to friends.

7. Just wanted to try slightly convex barrels.

8. Wanted to make barrels that look like "barrels". The dark rings are cut into the surface with a pointed chisel and then burned with a piece of wire while the pieces are spinning on the lathe. The fellow that old me the lathe demonstrated that technique to me.

Pens 6-8 need stain and finish, but they will be easily done tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home